Are your patients struggling to afford the critical treatments they need?
When health insurance is not enough, we’re here to help your patients — with copays, premiums, deductibles and out-of-pockets expenses for prescriptions, supplies, supplements and more. We offer financial assistance through a number of Disease Funds, with new funds opening every year, so they can get the care they need.
Find out if your patient is eligible for assistance.
1.Is the patient’s disease covered?
Find out whether HealthWell has a Disease Fund that covers your patient’s illness and whether his/her medication is an eligible treatment for that illness.
2.Does the patient have some form of health insurance?
To qualify for assistance, patients must have some form of health insurance such as private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or Tricare.
3.Is the medication the patient needs listed as an eligible treatment?
To be eligible for coverage, medications must be listed under the Disease Fund associated with the patient grant. Find out if a medication is covered by using the Medication Lookup tool below.
4.Does the patient's household income fall within our guidelines?
To determine eligibility, HealthWell considers a patient’s household income, the number in the household and the cost of living in the patient’s city or state. We assist individuals with incomes up to 400 to 500 percent of the federal poverty level. Check your patient’s income level here.
5.Is he or she receiving treatment in the United States?
HealthWell can only assist individuals who are receiving treatment in the United States.
HealthWell helps with treatment for a variety of diseases and is currently accepting applications for grants from our Open Funds. We are always expanding our programs. Please be sure to check back if a disease is not currently listed among our Open Funds or submit a request for a new Disease Fund.
To find out whether a medication is covered by HealthWell and for what specific diseases, please type the medication name below. The Disease Fund(s) under which the medication is covered will appear. Please note: To get coverage for a medication, it must be covered under the specific diagnosed disease for which you are applying. If you find your patient’s medication is not covered, please visit our Resource List to view other organizations that may be able to help.
How to Apply
Anyone with the patient’s express permission may apply for a grant on his or her behalf, including specialty, retail and mail-order pharmacists, pharmacy staff or advocates.
Before you begin, be sure to contact the company that makes the medication your patient needs. Manufacturers have generous assistance programs that exceed what most non-profit foundations can offer, particularly for commercially insured patients.
Here’s what you’ll need to complete the application:
- Patient contact, household income and insurance information.
- Specific disease, treatment and physician information including the office fax number.
- Type of assistance requested — copay or premium?
When you’re ready, you have two options —
- Apply online through the Pharmacy Portal.
- Apply by phone. Call (800) 675-8416.
We strongly encourage pharmacies, pharmacy staff and advocates to use the Pharmacy Portal to apply so that patients can readily access our hotline care managers.
HealthWell reserves the right to change its program in its entirety or with respect to any applicant at any time with or without notice.
How HealthWell Grants Work
- HealthWell allocates each patient a grant for a rolling 12 months, after which you or the patient may reapply as long as funding is available. Grant amounts vary by disease state.
- We try to keep the reimbursement process as simple as we can. Upon approval, patients receive both a HealthWell Pharmacy Card and a Reimbursement Request Form.
- There are no restrictions on the provider or pharmacy a patient selects. Patients are free to change medications, providers or pharmacies at any time. As long as the eligibility criteria continues to be met, the status of their grant will not change.
If you have any technical questions or concerns, you can call the
Pharmacy Card Helpdesk at (855) 326-9533.